Sunday, April 6, 2014

30 is the new black

So I've had some personal changes in the last year. I feel like 30 hit me like a ton of bricks and I suddenly have a new mindset on a lot of things (not in a negative way, just that I feel like way more of a grown up now). One of the biggest evolutions I've had over the last year or two is a style evolution. It's sort of strange, having worn almost exclusively vintage, to suddenly have started to evolve.

I know Solanah over at Vixen Vintage talked about this a couple of months ago. I think there are a few reasons why it's happened. For me, a lot of it is a sudden shift into the professional world. Now that I have students, and spend the majority of my days at the university, I can't exactly wear vintage and feel like I look the part. I want to be taken seriously by my students, and the exclusively vintage look just doesn't cut it. Normally I'd march to the beat of my own drum, and as much as I am the first to say that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, having 45 18/19 year olds staring at me every day, I know they judge a lot based upon looks. It's what 18/19 year olds do.

This doesn't mean that I don't wear vintage. I do. I am more apt to mix it with other non-vintage pieces these days. I also have days where I wear only modern clothes (though no one will ever stop me from rocking my Bakelite!) It's not a matter of not loving vintage (I'm still selling and buying vintage on my Etsy shop, though I don't have the time right now to babysit it. I'll be adding some pieces in the month of May, including a STUNNING 1930s buttercup yellow lace gown.) I'll also be going through my own closet once the semester is over and will be adding some of my own pieces (gasp!) to the shop, so curvy girls keep checking back! They'll be priced to sell for sure, despite the fact that I'll be keeping my favorites (obviously).

So what am I going to post on this blog anymore, anyway? As you can see, some of the style has changed (it'll be evolving more to come as well, I hope). I hope to start writing more (I always say that). I have gotten a real passion for the interior of my home. I have lots of vintage and other fun things going on. This is the first place I've lived where I felt like really taking the time to make it a home. I absolutely LOVE my apartment, my neighborhood, DC. I think it really shows. I also have been cooking up a storm, pushing myself to learn new, classic techniques and really trying to make classic Italian and French dishes (chicken bouillabaisse? YES!). There will be photos of that. And probably a good deal of my cat.

Anywho, I'll leave you with that. You can check out my website! and follow me on Instagram, @katerader

<3s Cooked some things recently: Thai red curry, homemade english muffins for homemade eggs benedict!

No comments:

Post a Comment